Nine player sit and go poker tournyes are the most popular sit and go tournament played in online poker and most people start out playing these. There good for new players because they don’t cost that much too play and you have a 33% chance of winning money which is pretty good when you consider other odds of casino games. In a nine player sit and go tournament the top three players will make money so the goal is obviously to finish in the top three before you worry about trying to obtain first place. We’re going to look at some quick tips to help you survive these lightning quick tournaments and win yourself some money.
* Make sure you keep the PokerStars download tournament fee reasonable compared to your bankroll. If you have $50 on your poker account then you shouldn’t enter a $20 sit and go tournament because you will only have two chances at winning. You should be down to about a $2-$5 sit and go tournament when you have a $50 bankroll and only move up if you start increasing your bankroll.
* The goal is to outlast six other players and finish in the top three first before you worry about finishing in first place. Don’t take any unneeded risks when there are only four or five of you left in the tournament because you don’t want a bad beat to ruin your chances of winning some money in that tournament.
* If you’re winning and have a nice chip lead you should use it to push the table and try to make everyone fold there hands to you pre-flop. Most of the time they will and you’ll be able to lower everyone’s stack as the blinds go around the table. This is a good strategy because once you do this a couple times around the PokerStar.com table you’ll have taken chips from every player and therefore everyone will be easier to knock out of the tournament down the road.
* If you’re in last place don’t worry about rushing to push your chips all-in. A lot of people are impatient once they lose a big hand and they just want to throw there chips into the pot on any hand. Don’t do this because you’ll usually be knocked out of the tournament. Try and wait for a good hand where you stand a shot of winning the hand. You could also end up outlasting other opponents if they lose an all-in and therefore you could win money still without doing anything except sitting there and folding your hand.
* When you make a big raise in a sit and go pokerstars tournament make sure that you’re committed to the pot and you’re willing to go all-in. If no one calls you then you win the pot on your big raise, but you’ll often find that people will come over the top all-in on you. Sometimes they have nothing and are just seeing if you’ll call and sometimes you’ll run into a big hand. This is why you should never raise big unless you have a hand that you’re willing to go all-in with.